Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

how to delete Grub on windows

I installed LINUX (Ubuntu 10.04) on my samsung n150 PC just for curiosity & feel how good are the looks and in this process also fiddled with the partitions on the hard disk too. It was somewhat usable but soon I got fed up with driver & other issues so decided to get rid of it.

As I rebooted the system to my surprise it gave me this

GRUB Loading.

error: unknown filesystem

grub rescue>

then I rebooted again & nothing else happened but the same error. I tried to figure it out by using all the commands people have suggested everywhere on internet and wasted about 4 hrs in search of a solution. The system remained unbootable with some data in windows partition but I was aware that I haven’t touched that partition but was still anxious to get everything as it was. Until I came across this instruction page on Microsoft's site and I am narrating the tips I followed for the recovery.

Quick and easy fix to remove the dirty GRUB and get Windows again.

1. Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and power cycle your PC after setting it to boot from CD Drive in BIOS.

2. Press a any key when you are prompted & select [language, time, currency, keyboard etc.] & click Next . Select Repair Your Computer option in the dialog window.

3. In the ‘System Recovery Options’ window Click the 1st Option Startup Repair and let it do what it wants to do, but in my case it didn’t solve the problem so I went to the next step.

4. In the ‘System Recovery Options’ dialog box, go to the last option i.e. Command Prompt .

5. Once in the command prompt (X:\Sources> ), type exactly the following commands in the same sequence

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

C:

CD Boot

Attrib bcd –s –h –r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd



then it said

“Scanning all disks for windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while…

Successfully scanned windows installations: 1

[1] C:\windows

Add installations to boot list? Yes(y)/No(N)/All(A) : “

I pressed ‘Y’ as there was only one instance of windows installation. Then it said The operation completed successfully.

6. Next entred the following command bootrec /fixmbr It said The operation completed successfully.

7. Next entred the following command bootrec /FixBoot Again It said The operation completed successfully.

8. Set the BIOS again to boot from the HDD and reboot.



GRUB was gone & finally the cool windows 7 was booting again. Hope this will help someone out there with a not so good experience

with LINUX and want to get rid of the dirty GRUB left as sloppy waste by the Free OS.

No comments:

Post a Comment